01. What is the meaning of oil palm ?
Oil palm also known as Elaeis guineensis Jacq. Elaeis comes from the word Elaion, in Greek it means oil. Guinensis is comes from word Guinea, the West Coast of Africa and Jacq is abbreviation of Jacquin, an American botanist.
Taxonomy of oil palm
Division : Tracheopita
Sudivision : Pteropsida
Class : Monocotyledoneae
Ordo : Cocoideae
Family : Palmae
Subfamily : Cocoideae
Genus : Elaeis
Species : Elaeis guineensis Jacq.
Varieties of Elaeis guineensis Jacq. quite a lot and usually classified in various ways. For example, distinguished by the type of fruit, the outer shape, thick shells, fruit color and others. Based on the color of the fruit of the species Elaeis guineensis Jacq, known varieties:
· nigrescens: violet color to black fruit at a young age and turns orange after ripe fruit.
· Virescens: green fruit when young and when ripe orange.
· Albescens: a pale yellow light; translucent because they contain little carotene.
In nigrescens and virescens varieties found a fruit that has carpel (winged) and is known as Diwakka-Wakka.
02. Did PT. Socfin Indonesia is one of the official oil palm seed producers and how the market share ?
PT. Socfin Indonesia is one of the oil palm seeds producers that are already well established and experienced. Officially became a manufacturer based S.K. Minister of Agriculture No. K.B. 320/261 / Kpts / 1984, dated May 7, 1984 with a wide range of domestic market, start from NAD to Papua, and has exported to overseas markets such as Latin America, Southeast Asia and West Africa / Middle.
03. What varieties that issued by PT. Socfin Indonesia?
PT. Socfin Indonesia issued three oil palm seed varieties are:
· DxP Socfindo (L) based SK. Minister of Agriculture No. 440 / Kpts / LB.320 / 7/2004.
· DxP Socfindo (Y) based SK. Minister of Agriculture No. 441 / Kpts / LB.320 / 7/2004.
· DxP Socfindo MT Gano based Minister of Agriculture No. 4569 / Kpts/SR.120/8/2013.
04. What is the difference between DxP Socfindo (L) and DxP Socfindo (Y)?
Fundamentally, the differences between the two varieties are at the character of growth and the number of bunches produced per year. DxP Socfindo (L) has raised a slow growth (average 45-50 cm / year) while DxP Socfindo (Y) has a moderate growth, namely (average 60 cm / year). Number of bunches produced for DxP Socfindo (L) are greater than DxP Socfindo (Y).
05. Why do both varieties DxP Socfindo (L) and (Y) remains developed and manufactured?
These varieties are still developed and manufactured to complement each other. Mixing planting of both varieties can optimize the productivity, where the variety DxP Socfindo (Y) will produce more male flowers, so its will provide sufficient pollen sources to pollination the entire plant include variety DxP Socfindo (L) which more feminism (high sex ratio).
06 What are the characteristics and advantages of DxP Unggul Socfindo?
07.Did variety DxP Socfindo has tested and well proven ?
Yes, DxP Unggul Socfindo has been well tested and proven in trial and commercial plantation in Socfindo and Customer’s. The breeding programme has a long experience, more than 100-years experience since 1913. Since 1970 has been used breeding methods RSS (Reciprocal Recurrent Selection) which focused on the selection of the best origin, so the crossing results of DxP Socfindo will get the best potential. The superior seeds of Socfindo which produced from RSS method has been planted as commercially since 1970 in Socfindo plantation and other plantations company. It has proven successfully.
The germinated seeds which now commercialized is the result of the 3rd cycle through RRS or Reciprocal Recurrent Selection in which one cycle requires a minimum of 12 years of testing.
08. What is called a fake of oil palm seeds?
The fake oil palm seeds called illegitimate seed (illegal). It is an oil palm seeds which obtained from the unknown origin (illegitim). Usually, its obtained from commercial fruit (F1) so the result will get dura more than 25%, 25% pisifera (no fruit) and tenera only around 50%. It causes low productivity FFB and the lower oil extraction. There was many losses incurred from the use of the fake of oil palm seeds.
09. What breeding method which developed by PT. Socfin Indonesia?
Based on the history of oil palm breeding developed by PT. Socfin Indonesia is divided into two phases:
· Before 1970: where breeding developed by mass and family fenotype selection (visual).
· After 1970: develop breeding programs known as Reciprocal Recurrent Selection. The purpose of this selection program is simultaneously improve affinity (combining ability) of two groups of individuals A and B are characterized by:
Ø Group A (dura Deli, Dabou and dura Socfin Malaysia) includes the type of oil palm which produces bunches slightly but with the heavy bunches, with a thin of fruit flesh, thick shell and a large nucleus and not has a fibers so the oil extraction will be low.
Ø Group B (pisifera / tenera from La Me, Nifor, Yangambi and Socfindo) is a palm that produces many bunches but medium size and weight are relatively smaller and often undergo abortion (deciduous fruit), with fruit that has a thick flesh, but have not shelled circumference and core fibers are so small that high oil extraction.
10. Why the quality of the genetic source is so important if we want to plant a kind of plant ?
The growth of plant is determined by three main factors, that is genetic factors, environmental factors and technical cultures, their interaction as shown in the following formula: plant growth = genetic (heredity) + environment + technical culture.
Technical culture as treatment:
Genetic factors are permanent effect on plant growth. Once we use the genetic makeup of an individual with good growth and we will get good results throughout a growing, upkeep and fertilization is done is at optimum condition. Instead, if we use the seeds with poor genetic quality then we will not get the expected results even though we have the upkeep and the cultivation well.
11. Why although we already use superior seeds we still have to do the optimum maintenance (upkeep) and fertilization?
There are three factors that affect the growth and productivity of oil palm, such as environmental factors, plant material, and technical culture. Of course, all three are interrelated and influence each other. All three of these factors are complementary, so if we do not do maintenance and fertilization as the technical culture aspect with good, the genetic potential of the plant will not be expressed or respond as expected.
12. What is the meaning of the genetic source or germplasm?
An individual or population where the propagation materials from seeds, buds, leaves or other vegetative parts taken. Commonly referred to as the mother plant, plus trees or the parent tree.
13. Why the planters should use material DxP Unggul Socfindo? And what are the basics of the selection criteria for superior plant material to be consumed?
DxP Unggul Socfindo only contributed input: 5-7% of the total cost of production, but the quality and characteristics is crucial in affecting the overall growth and productivity. The plant material (seeds) in addition to depending on the environment is also determined by its genetic characteristics. DxP Unggul Socfindo are obtained through a long-term breeding programs which are consistent and clear origin. DxP Unggul Socfindo also have a well proven and tested commercially after widely planted, and able to deliver results and good productivity growth, especially economically. Socfindo also allows customers to obtain information about the quality, procedures and processes acquire, security in the distribution and service after sales.
14. How to obtain DxP Unggul Socfindo?
The standar to book varieties DxP Unggul Socfindo is easy. To book oil palm germinated seeds in Socfindo can be made by following step :
Directors of PT. Socfin Indonesia
Up. Seed Sales & Marketing
Jl. K.L. Yos Sudarso No. 106 Medan, 20115
Phone 061-661 6066 Fax : 061-6614390
Or can be ordered through this website by clicking here.
15. Did PT Socfindo providing e-booking online to order germination seeds or pre nursery seedlings ?
To simplify the customer, PT Socfindo has been providing e-booking system online to order products and services. Customers can access e-booking system at page e-booking.
16. How did the e-booking system online stage to order DxP Socfindo via online ?
17. Did PT Socfindo also offering another product or services beside germinated oil palm seeds and seedling ?
Yes. Socfindo also offering analytical laboratory services. Detailed information services and methods of analysis can be found here.
For reservations the analytical laboratory services, customers can perform the booking stage as described above. Please click here, so you can make an order.